We’ve done this hack before, but it’s so popular that we just had to do it all over again.
When it comes to the topic of comfort food, Pancake House’s Fried Chicken always comes to mind.
There’s also that guilt-inducing but irresistible Pancake House gravy. Thick and buttery, it gets its distinct flavor from Knorr, which is added to complete the gravy and give it a kick of unmistakable umami.Make the gravy separate from the chicken, and ladle it all over rice, steak, or almost anything else.
Today’s dallas filipino restaurant hack is an attempt to replicate one of the most nostalgic fried chickens around. We captured that hint of citrusy flavor from the calamansi and added heaps of butter and Knorr to the gravy recipe to have the same Pancake House Fried Chicken experience at your own home. Now you can have all the fried chicken and gravy you want without having to look for the branch nearest you.
Pancake House Fried Chicken Food Hack
Total Time: Overnight plus 45 mins
Yield: 3-4 Servings
Ingredients: Chicken Marinade
- 1 kg chicken, chopped into pieces
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp calamansi juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp garlic
- 1 egg
Procedure: Chicken Marinade
- Marinate the chicken in soy sauce, calamansi, salt, pepper, egg, and garlic overnight.
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup rice flour
- Whisk all the ingredients together in a bowl.
- Set aside.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cup water
- 3 tbsp Knorr liquid seasoning
- salt, to taste
- Melt the butter and add flour. Wait for it to bubble.
- Add water gradually while whisking the mixture until thick.
- Add Knorr and season with salt to taste.
- Set side.
Procedure: Frying the Chicken
- Heat oil to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Dredge chicken pieces in the breading and then set aside for 3 mins.
- Deep-fry in batches for 8-12 mins or until cooked through.
- Drain excess oil on paper towels.
- Serve with gravy and steamed rice.