Shawarma in Dallas filipino restaurant always needs garlic sauce. In kiosks everywhere, or tableside at late-night joints, this bottled sauce is used excessively because it tempers heat, and adds richness. We can’t live without it, and it has easily become a staple for cuisines that are full of herbs and spices.
Because this sauce is so popular, we often wonder how we can have more of it–even when there’s no grilled meats around. Enter this recipe, which puts flavors together in a really accessible, snackable dip. We’ve combined the garlic sauce with the spices that usually come together in a shawarma marinade, so you can eat it with virtually anything. We’ve achieved that by making a thick, creamy dip with Lady’s Choice mayonnaise, that has turned the often liquid texture of the sauce into something that clings onto any chip, whether tortilla or pita.
Imagine this: Lady’s Choice mayo soured with a little bit of yogurt and lemon juice, topped with a concentrated toasted spice oil that reminds you of the best kebab you’ve ever eaten. It combines the richness and consistency of the mayo with those intense flavors we’ve all become familiar with. You might just eat a whole bag of chips with this one.
Shawarma Garlic Dip with Lady’s Choice Mayonnaise
- Serves: 4
- Active time: 30 mins
- Total time: 30 mins
- Difficulty: Easy
Shawarma Garlic Dip
- 1 cup Lady’s Choice Mayonnaise
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ tbsp. oregano
- ½ tbsp. cumin
- ½ tbsp. turmeric
- ½ tbsp. garlic powder
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Pita chips for dipping
- In a bowl, mix together mayonnaise, yogurt, and lemon juice until fully combined.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix together oregano, cumin, turmeric, and garlic powder.
- Heat a pan over medium heat and add the olive oil.
- Add in the spices and toast, cooking for about 1-2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Place the flavored oil in a bowl and set aside.
- Place mayonnaise and yogurt mixture in a bowl.
- Using a spoon, create a well in the center of the mixture.
- Spoon shawarma spiced oil over the dip and serve with pita chips.