If you’re anything like us, you’ve ended up at North Park’s Next Door Noodles (the one in Poblacion to be specific) in the middle of the night to satisfy your desire for North Park’s famous Fried Beancurd Skin with Shiitake mushroom.
So good you’ll ignore the chopsticks and use your hands.
We must admit that finding the beancurd skin took some scouring through specialty shops in Binondo. But once the initial hurdle is over and done with, everything else is a cake walk. Just pick up some mushrooms at the grocery, and everything else should already be in your pantry. And on a side note, it’s fascinating to see the pre-cooked beancurd skin and to watch the texture change while frying, so this recipe is a lot of fun for the curious-minded too.
North Park’s Fried Beancurd Skin with Shiitake Mushrooms
- Serves: 2-3 people
- Active time: 30 mins
- Total time: 30 mins
- Difficulty: Easy
- 2 cups beancurd skin
- Oil, for frying
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 1 cup Shiitake mushrooms, quartered
- ½ cup oyster sauce
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tsp. grated ginger
- Heat frying oil over medium heat until 350F.
- Fry beancurd skins (defrosted if previously frozen and patted dry) until crisp, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from oil and set aside to drain on paper towels.
- In a pan over medium heat, heat the 1 tbsp. of oil.
- Add the Shiitake mushrooms and fry, about 2 minutes until cooked and colored.
- Add oyster sauce, water, and ginger and stir to combine.
- Cook sauce until boiling and thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Pour sauce over fried beancurd skin and serve.